July 27, 2013

You've Got Mail, A Business Model?

I tend to have a lot of business ideas, some good, some not so marketable.  For example, I once thought of an idea to create a bar or restaurant built around a go-cart track where patrons were able to drink and drive. Think about racing a go-cart around a track after having a few drinks, your friends cheering you on... anyway... I don't drink or would ever encourage folks to drink so I'll probably leave that to someone else... 

My latest business idea is one on a much smaller scale, but I think it is a real problem.  Most enterprises won't let you enable your work email on your personal phone citing security issues.  So that forces many of us to carry two phones. Yuck.  

However, most still allow access through their email service web access. So, you can browse your work email through the browser on your smartphone and still be within your company's security policy.  The downside to going through the browser is there is no alerts to know if "You've Got Mail".  It takes time to go through the login process just to see if you have new emails.

I think an iphone/android app be created that could connect to an enterprise email service and just get the meta-data of an email. name, time, unread.... and that is it.  It can't access any additional information. 

I guess providing your credentials to the service would be the problem. Maybe you could leverage some type of single-sign-on solution. I'm not sure.

I would get that app. so I could go to the go-cart racing bar with just a single phone and still get a ping when my boss had sent out a weekend update.



No comments:

Post a Comment